Mateo and Daddy

Me

Hi, I'm Mark Rios. I'm a triathlete from Northern California. I don't do triathlons to set records. I just do them to stay in shape within my domain of work and family. Before I found triathlon working out was a bit of a chore. But triathons are interesting and keep life interesting because they are simple, yet beautifully complex. In this sport your workouts are different every single day, which is great because it minimizes the chance of burnout and reduces the risk of injury. Also, in my opinion as of current triathlon is still mainly a science and in its infancy. There's still a lot we don't know. So in terms of being sport, it's still evolving (for example a female professional is on course to be just as fast as the fastest male professional triathletes). But my favorite thing about the sport is that it attracts really great people from all walks of life and of all colors. The cliche, "you can't judge a book by its cover", is so true in triathlon. Never have I ever before in my life enjoyed the company of others from so many varied backgrounds. I'm constantly amazed at who participates in this sport. From the stay at home mom to the 80 year old nun. It's just filled with people of great character, those who will amaze you, and make you question your assumptions on life, reality, and what the human body is capable of.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Road to Ironman from Recovery Town

This morning I went on a two and half mile walk with Maggy. I didn't take a watch with me. I just took the fresh air in and enjoyed the scenery. As I was walking I kept thinking about a conversation I had with Kari Duane last week after the tire changing clinic. She asked me what my plan was? And of course I was a smart ass with a reply and chuckled, "Your the coach". But in all honesty I think planning after being injured is very difficult. As of current when I ride my bike at speed I have flashbacks of what can happen. Earlier this year Kari tumbled on a silly rock and tore her muscles necessary for a run at speed.  And it was a sad sight because it appeared she was on track for a record year.


Kari Duane

Maggy


From what I know training for IMAZ (Ironman Arizona) starts August 15th assuming HI (Half Ironman) shape. That's roughly seven weeks away and means I should be able to swim 1.2 mi, bike 56 mi, and run 13.1 mi. But there are hurtles in those seven weeks. August 3rd I'm having surgery on my left eye. I'm having an intact inserted to help with my keratoconus. This surgery means no suitable cycling vision in my left eye for the month of July. Furthermore, the surgery means no swimming in the month of August because the eye needs to heal and is vulnerable to bacteria in the water.


Normal eye top, Keratoconus bottom eye

Based on the above, it appears that in July, and possibly in the month of August I will be bound to cycling on the trainer.  This is really bad because though it's a good workout, you're going to lose fitness that only comes from riding outdoors.  Also, with only one eye driving is very dangerous. That means I will be highly dependant on my wife's schedule getting me to the gym with two children, a five year old and an eight month old.

So no swimming in August. That I'm not to worried about because I can regain swimming fitness in September and October.  Also, I've tried very hard to improve my swimming ability with little luck. So I've just reached the conclusion there is basically no loss by not swimming that extra mile. In the end I'll still be a flounder in water. Cycling is an other matter. Not having proper training in July and August is going to really be hurtful. The only conciliation I have is that if everything goes well my metatarsalgia (aka "Stone Bruise, because it feels like you have a rock in your shoe) will not act up in my right foot and I'll still be trekking on the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Song